4th of July Fun Facts and Triviafeatured, to live — By Angie on July 4, 2012 at 8:36 am
Here are some fun facts to wow your guests at your 4th of July cookoff!
- The majority of the nation’s flags and patriotic paraphernalia in relation to the 4th of July is produced in China. Nearly $349 million dollars are used each year to import in flags, banners, decorations and emblems.
- Benjamin Franklin wanted the turkey to be the national animal but was outvoted when John Adams and Thomas Jefferson chose the bald eagle. We love turkey, but are glad Franklin lost this one.
- The first public Fourth of July event at the White House occurred in 1801.
- Both Thomas Jefferson and John Adams died on Independence Day.
- Approximately 150 million hot dogs are consumed on this day.
- The percentage of American homes with an outdoor grill is 87 percent
Happy 4th everyone! If you’re looking for a great fireworks show, make sure to check out our list of celebrations going on around town.